Writing a Will

Assisted dying

Wondering how to make a Will or where to get help writing a will?

Final Fling has professional advisers who can help with writing a Will. Just contact us and we’ll get a professional to speak to you. No obligation.

Once drawn up and signed – the action that makes it legal – you can store a copy of your Will in your secure Safe Deposit Box for safekeeping. Appoint a Keyholder to access it ‘in the event’.

To begin writing or drafting a Will, experts will usually run you through a series of useful (if a bit scary) “what if” questions. “What if your partner dies first…” “What if you need to find guardians for the children… By gum, that focuses the mind.

A lawyer, solicitor or Will writer will be able to help you explore the options and understand the impact of your choices when writing a Will.

You don’t need to have a large Estate (the sum total of your belongings) or assets (belongings) to think about inheritance and writing a Will. It’s the little things that usually matter most and it’s worth putting some thought into who gets what.

7 key relationships

Traditionally, people leave things to their kith and kin – usually among these 7 key relationships: partner, mother, father, son, daughter, brother, sister. It can just as easily be a friend or a charity.

You can set conditions: “I leave Gill £5,000 on reaching 21” if you want to make sure they’re mature enough to spend it wisely – thought frankly, spending money lavishly or foolishly is one of my favourite things.

These days it’s worth remembering that it’s not just property that’s valuable. Digital legacies or virtual property can have a value too. Gift someone your valuable domain name.


Typical scenarios

Many of us have complex family arrangements these days: ex partners, children born to different partners. We might be combining assets in a new relationship. If you don’t have a Will you might end up with a new partner being cut out and an out-of-favour ex gaining; your children with an ex could lose out to children of a new partner; your current partner’s home might be at risk. Here are some typical family set-ups and how Wills are often set up.

Single adult

You can opt to leave it all to a friend, to special children in your life, your dog, a charity. If you opt to leave money to children, you can put an age condition on it, eg 18, 21. Warning: If you don’t have a Will, your estate usually goes to your parents and then passes down to your siblings – any brothers and sisters.

Single parent

Your children are your next of kin and your estate will automatically go to them. You may want to put in an age condition and appoint a guardian to make sure they are old enough to manage. You can also leave any part of your estate to a friend or family member. Warning: You may want to appoint a guardian if you don’t want the other parent to take over if anything happens to you. The State will appoint a guardian if there are no arrangements in place.

Couple, no children

Usually couples draw up mirror wills, leaving their estate to each other. You might leave your estate 50:50 between each family or specify amounts depending on who you think needs (or deserves) most. You can gift to friends, others’ children or charity. If you’re comfortably off and the surviving partner can afford it, you might elect to pay out after the first death so that beneficiaries can enjoy their gift earlier. Warning: If you’re not married, your family may have a claim on your estate that could cut out your partner. A Will can sort this out.

Couple with shared children

If you have a child or children between you, usually you’d leave your estate to the child(ren), with an age condition attached if they are under 16. You can elect to leave to grandchildren too if you have them.

Couple with children from different relationships

These days complex family set ups mean there may be a child or children from previous relationships, maybe as well as children you have together. This means there’s no one-size-fits-all answer. Warning: an ex-partner may have a claim if you don’t have a Will so sort it out!

Legal Guardian

Whether you’re a single parent, have children of your own and are in a relationship, or have children with your current partner, you might want to think about appointing a legal guardian in case anything happens to you. The State may appoint a guardian if you don’t.

Get  help writing  your Will

We have a network of professional independent legal advisers and will writers who can help. Contact us.

Final Fling used to offer a Will on the site but found that it’s such an important document that even though it was easy to complete, folks still wanted a belt and braces check with a legal expert or will writer just to be sure it reflected their wishes.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *