Whatever your age, stage and bank balance, you’d be well advised to start and continue to sort your affairs throughout life by doing a bit of legal and financial planning. Always good when the sky is blue and the risk of death seems remote.
Triggers for planning tend to be life stages and milestones: starting earning, starting a relationship, buying property, moving in together, marriage and divorce, planning a family, getting pregnant, having children… and events that make us think about mortality and risk… going on holiday, attending a funeral.
Legal and financial planning
Knowing your legal and financial affairs are sorted gives you peace of mind. It saves others the burden. It saves wrong decisions being made when you’re no longer here to defend your choices. It saves time getting money to the family that might need it after your death. And best of all it almost certainly means you’ll have a parting win over the tax office.
The thing is, do you know who would get your car, cat, home, jewels, tent, laptop – whatever you treasure – if anything happened to you? Are you confident sorting your legal and financial affairs wouldn’t get messy? Do you know if your partner is legally and financially secure and protected? Are you sure an ex wouldn’t gain in any financial divvy-up before a current partner? Would the kids, grandkids or your friends or favourite charity get what you want to leave them? Do you know what’s taxable and what’s not in your Estate?
Don’t leave it too late and don’t leave it to someone else.
It’s not all about avoiding massive Inheritance Tax losses, even if you’re tight for cash, it’s even more important to speak to a professional who will carry out a free legal or financial review. Contact us to link to our specialist for friendly and professional advice.
Things to think about
Have a look at Trust Inheritance’s site to get a sense of the kind of help you might need.
10 things to do on Final Fling
Our site is a combination of 3 things:
- this big fat blog with lots of information and resources
- a set of Life Planning Tools so you can sort your affairs (and get on with leading your life)
- a Marketplace to find funeral services, legal and financial services, funeral plans, support with care and more.
- Make the most of life NOW: start a Bucket List
- Sign up for our B Positive newsletter: tips, tasks and tonic
- Store the Top 20 Essential Documents next of kin will need in your secureSafe Deposit Box
- Start a Memory Box to pass on secrets, treasured photos, your story, special messages
- Capture favourite music and ideas for your send-off in Wishes
Dealing with death now
- See our 10 Step Guide to keep you right when someone dies (below)
- Get our funeral planning checklist and funeral music Top 10 lists (below)
- Notify others or pay respects in Notices+Tributes
- Find a funeral director or Humanist or celebrant
- Understand the rules and options around funerals.
- Come to a Death Cafe
- Find help dealing with grief and loss
- Buy a flexible funeral plan
Hear what Flingers, Michelle and Nikki like to do on Final Fling
We aim to keep improving the site – to fill it full of useful information and make the planning tools easy to use. Contact us with any feedback.
We have a user survey that tests the Top 10 Things To Do on the site and invites you to comment and make suggestions for improvement. Take the survey here.