- This event has passed.
Funeral Poverty Conference
September 22, 2016 @ 9:30 am - 4:30 pm| Free
Powers to make funeral payments are transferring to Scottish Ministers, so there’s an opportunity for doing things differently/better.
Scottish Government is hosting a conference to share information and gather views with wide-ranging individuals and groups who have an interest in reducing funeral poverty and want to have a say in shaping Scottish benefits to replace the Department of Work and Pension’s Funeral Payment.
Speaking at the event are:
- John Birrell, Chair of the Scottish Working Group on Funeral Poverty and author of the report Funeral Poverty in Scotland: A Review for Scottish Government
- Angela Constance, Cabinet Secretary for Communities, Social Security and Equalities
- Fraser Sutherland, Citizens Advice Scotland.
- Funeral Poverty: this conference is part of a programme of engagement exploring what we can do to tackle funeral poverty. On the day, we will be mapping the needs of different groups and identifying practical actions from different sectors that can help.
- Funeral Payment: participants will discuss Government’s Consultation on Social Security focussing on funeral payments.
Note: the official deadline for responses to the consultation is BEFORE this event on 28 October.
The event is free. Email Julie Dunk to reserve a place (first-come-first-served).